This is a building where people go to talk about fiction. They talk loudly in a manner which points to them believing they are better than people like you and me. They read science fiction and call it religion. They give each other tests and point out each other's weaknesses. They empty their wallets and get financially bum raped by their church. It's ok though, because one day they will be a superior thetan and that will appease all the charity.
The scientology building is located right next to the University of Texas. Which is convenient for all those weak minded students that need something to latch on to.
It was warm. Not a cloud in the sky and I felt good. I walked out of Mariette's house and smiled. I had Music made by a man named Liam Howlett piercing the wax in my ears and making the hair on my neck stand to attention. I swept my fingers through my hair as I crossed the road, and said hello to everyone I passed. I made my way to Guadeloupe and bought a sandwich. I ordered a side of Black beans because I'm addicted to them. I gazed out the window as people lazily sauntered down the road. I was glad to be alone.
I tipped my waiter seven bucks because he was a very nice man and we said our farewells. I made my way down Guadeloupe towards town and swept my fingers through my hair again. My hair was wiry from the heat. It wouldn't stay out of my eyes, it kept nagging at me. I don't know what it wanted, so I decided to get it cut off.
I walked into a barber shop and sat down.
"A little off the head" I said with a smile.
"Coming right up" She answered.
She did a good job. It was quick and I don't look like a marine, which is what I feared may happen. I thanked the lady and squeezed her forearm as we said goodbye. I thought about that as I left. I felt a bit silly for doing it. I'm sure she didn't even bat an eyelid, but I felt I may have crossed some sort of barrier.
I bought an Orange Juice and changed the Music in my ears. I felt Brian Wilson was appropriate, so I listened to 'Smile' the album that took him thirty years to record. It was a long time coming, but it was worth it. I hummed along to heroes and villains whilst watching students talk about 9/11 conspiracies and bands that haven't even been invented yet. I made conversations in my head. In the guise of a hipster. I pictured myself at a gig with lots of my hipster friends. I imagined saying things like
"This band make my shoes look sooo awesome"
and
"Does this band make my ass look fat?"
and
"Ever since they got signed I've lost interest in them"
Then I saw it.
The Church of Scientology in all it's glory.
I wandered in.
"Afternoon sir"
"Afternoon" I replied.
"How are you today?"
"I'm well. I'm just glad I found this place"
"Oh.....You from outta town?"
"Yes. England"
"Fantastic! Come this way"
I was led into a side room and introduced to members of the Austin Scientology clan. They were polite and courteous, though I had little to say to them. I don't know why I was there. I did the same thing in Manchester a few times, just wandered in and had conversations with scientologists. I even strapped a mic up to my ipod a few times and recorded the things I heard. The things they said.
I have a fascination with Scientology. I want to now how they believe in it all, and one day, I want to pluck up the courage to tell them they're all cunts. Not yet though. Not yet.
I had a glass of water and talked about Saint Hill in East Grinstead in Sussex. This is the UK base for scientology. I said it was a beautiful place and a nice home for a cult such as scientology. Yes, a cult.
Anyway, I got bored, made my excuses and left.
I carried on towards town. I changed the Music in my ears again to people named 'Architecture in Helsinki' I smiled again and crossed the road. Austin is a beautiful place, it has charm and looks sexy in good weather. I saw lots of people on congress and decided to follow them. They all had badges around their necks. They were all geeks. The beginning of SXSW is the interactive and film seminars. I was with interactive people. Interactive people rarely wash. They don't speak. They type. They have long hair, masturbate furiously to large posters of actresses like Gillian Anderson in their bedrooms, and wear t-shirts with shocking statements on them. In general they're a friendly bunch, if a little sad.
We all trooped down congress and they ducked off toward the convention center. They went down 6th street to get there. 6th street is the bourbon street of Austin, the Deansgate of Austin. It's where lots of bars are crammed next to each other, in order to promote vomiting and promiscuity. I haven't been down there yet, and don't really want to. Not yet anyway. I thought about beer and felt slightly sick. I was still ravaged from the night before. And the night before. And come to think of it, the night before that too. The lower right side of my torso hurt, I believe that is where the liver is held, so I decided against a beer.
The night life in Austin is a bonus. It's a young town full of bars, clubs and obviously, with SXSW, great Music. Last night I went out with Mariette's two house mates Dave and Paul. Dave works in a bar called the ginger man. I walked past it on my first day here and thought I have to drink in there sometime, for the sheer enjoyment of being a ginger man in the ginger man. Paul works in a restaurant as a waiter. I don't know what it's called, but don't believe it has any ties with my hair colour.
We went to an Irish pub and did a quiz, we downed beers and went to Karaoke. A young man sang 'Common People' by Pulp. I haven't heard this song in years and it made me happy. It is, in all honesty, a fucking great song. After that we met an English guy I met on the train journey and went to a bar called Mohawk's. Mohawk's has a terrace which resembles the terraces I see at MTV parties on the television. A band called Tokyo Police Club were playing on the terrace. Someone told me to go see them if I got chance because they are good. They're not good. They're utter waff. I hated it and was very disappointed. I drnak more beer and went inside. There was a dj playing lots of 80's Music. I immediately began dancing like an idiot and ordering Jagermeister. I drank with the English man and Dave and Paul. We had fun.
When we got home I fell asleep quite quickly, though listened to some Miles Davis as I nodded off. I thought about my family all those miles away. I though about my friends all those miles away. I thought about my best friend Ed and the fact that I will miss his birthday this year. I can't remember the last time I spent his birthday with him since I moved to Manchester. That's a bit shit. Though a flight home for a messy night in Devon is definitely not in my to-do book. I thought about the amazing people I've met here and I thought about a man who gurns harder than anyone I know. I don't know his name, but he looks like this.
I also thought about getting another tattoo. I think I may do that while I'm in Austin. Something big. Something American. Something all the way up my arm. I would be welcome to designs, ideas and general suggestions.
Tonight, I sit hungry in the front room. My brow is furrowed and my eyes tired. I may go downtown to get some food. I may end up in front of the internet for hours.

5 comments:
one- if you get a tattoo go to the Golden Apple on sixth street. thats where i got my phoenix. Ask for Barry. He is badass. Two: the guy in the pic...did you pay him a dollar to do that becuase if you did thats taco/hamburger guy. He used to chill at an intersection near my highschool and have a sign that said Taco? Hamburger? $1 to find out. It was hilarious and creepy, but everyone always payed to see it. Three: I know exactly where that scientology place is and have never dared to go in though i did see them jumping up and don once when i walked by. Four: There is the only budist temple in texas about 30 min. outside of town. Its beautiful if you can handle the drive.
Well that's at least one song on my mix your not missing. 'Surf's Up'. Although it is an older version... before they got signed. It'll make you're hair look cool.
you should get an old map of north America on your arm, like, im talking 1920 design, when shit still wasn't official and then have your route traced out in red, and then my face as the compass rose... remember my face... remember it... think a bit harder... yeah, exactly!
Get a tattoo of a battered upright piano! Random thought...
I did NOT read all of this.
but thank you for entertaining me for approximately 3 hours with the first half of it.
and exposing me to the world
and inspiring me to have free fun
which I shall tell you about later, as I am leaving boston in an hour or so.
Post a Comment