I'm staying with an old friend. His name is David. David plays the piano. David plays well. He has played in such locations as Carnegie Hall and his parent's house. I arrived early this morning and have had the chance to meet some interesting people. From what I have seen, I like Chicago, but it's early doors.
This is David:

Yesterday, Matt's sister Meredyth took me out for the day. We went out with the intention of seeing some things of interest in Memphis. I suppose we did. Meredyth took me to the river and we walked along the bank. I stood on a log, near the place where a man called Jeff Buckley died. Jeff Buckley liked to play guitar and sing like a girl. I listen to Jeff Buckley now and then. When I feel like wallowing in my own self pity. Jeff Buckley is no good for anything else.
This is me on said log:
Meredyth is an intelligent girl, who teaches art to children. I commend her for her patience. She plans to leave Memphis soon, pretty much straight after her brother Matt leaves. She intends to travel to Europe. I told her she is more than welcome to stay in England. As are Matt and Monica. Meredyth wore red and white, heart-shaped earrings in honour of it being St Valentine's day. I don't have anything red, though I did cough a little blood in the morning.
We got back in the car and drove past the civil rights museum. It is located on the street where Martin Luther King was shot. I didn't see any blood on the pavement, but I was slightly touched.
We coasted down the road, and I thought about how desperate people seemed to be getting out of Memphis. They all remind me of myself and my friends. No one is ever happy just staying put. Good.
We returned to the house and relaxed, I got my shit together and prepared to leave
Memphis. I was sad to be leaving in a way, but I'm always sad to be leaving anywhere, especially when I frequently meet such cool people. The decleyre house, reminding me of Brighton. Monica, Matt and Meredith. Hart, Taylor, Brett and Nic. And a particular guy, who reminded me a huge amount of someone I used to go to school with. Illegitimate twins perhaps. They both like Heroin, so perhaps.
I bade farewell to my wonderful hosts with a famed Memphis barbecue sandwich and an episode of 'Lost' then made my way to the bus station, in time for my ten o'clock, ten hour long, ride to Chicago. As we pulled up to Memphis Greyhound station, a Hummer went by. Meredyth and I were nearly killed by a Hummer earlier that day. I hate Hummers and the bastards that drive them. On the way back from decleyre the other night, Matt gave a Hummer the finger. Matt hates Hummers. And the bastards that drive them. Good.
These are my gracious hosts.
And their dog.
The queue for the bus was long, and my barbecue pork was making me feel like a mutant. I was tuned in to the fat resting in my stomach. I lit cigarette after cigarette, in a vain attempt to make time speed up. It didn't.
I listened to 'Of Montreal' and watched all the freaks. Greyhound buses are taken by a special kind of person I have learned. I suppose in England they would be called chav's. I prefer the term scum.
I played a game with myself in the queue, counting the amount of people in the line, and the number of buses to be filled. I was trying to determine which bus I'd end up on, and which freak would be my partner. I spotted a slender young girl nearby and shifted near her, in the hope she would sit next to me. She did. Thank fuck. She smelt good and didnt encroach on my seat space, exactly what I was looking for.
I closed my eyes and thought about the sleep I needed. Not long after, I had a light tap on my shoulder. And that is when it began.
Kelly talked.
I nodded.
Talk.
Nod.
Talk.
Nod.
"Jesus.Fucking.Christ" I thought. This girl wouldn't stop. It was one in the morning and we were out of Tennessee, but she carried on.
Kelly is 21. Kelly has 3 kids. Kelly's kids have different fathers that have all disappeared off the face of the planet. I believe they took their own lives, in order to escape the endless voice-vomit waterfall that is Kelly's mouth. Kelly has not seen her kids for 3 months. Kelly moved down south to try and build a home and stable life for her kids. Kelly is returning home, because her boss in Arkansas called her "the little coloured girl". I think Kelly's boss is a fucking prick, and if I knew who he was, I would hunt him down and make him eat his own balls. Kelly is sweet. Kelly told me off for drinking a whole bottle of whisky before we reached Effingham. Kelly told me there are other ways to sleep. I told Kelly, in jest, that on a crowded bus, drinking whisky is a must, and if she tried stopping me, she wouldn't see her kids for another 3 months. Kelly didn't understand me. I freaked Kelly out.
We sat in silence for a while, until she started talking again. We spoke about relationships and she told me I was too sweet to be alone. I blushed and told her I'd just come out of a relationship. She said my ex must have been crazy to let it end. I smiled and said "Yeah, she is crazy"
The sun rose and the snow fell. We arrived in Illinois to sub zero temperatures. I was greeted by a big hug from Dave and a brisk wind. We walked along Lake Michigan and talked about our lives. Tonight, I have my first experience at a Hard Rock Cafe. I plan to get involved with Dave's friends, and reel off the same 'about me' spiel that I've used the past month. I'm sure I'll think about the guys from Memphis during the course of the night. They were great.

2 comments:
yeah, she IS crazy
loved the pics thought the dog was odd until i saw the scarecrow!
Post a Comment