Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jazz and German on Saturday

  Got back to the hostel after, only to be greeted by a wave of incredible fatigue. I smoked a cigarette, laid down on the bed and sighed a lot. The two room mates came in separately and started speaking in French, one actually is from France the other, from Montreal. There's something strange going on, my earlier suspicions have come through.
 Now, French man 1 is travelling from Montreal-New York-Mexico city.
           French man 2 is travelling from New York-Montreal-Mexico city.
           French speaking man 3 is from Montreal, though apart from that is very boring and has nothing to do with the story.

   In two nights, I've had two French guys, that know nothing about each other, doing the same fucking trip! Over the course of three months exactly! I want to know what the deal is with Mexico city and French people? The only viable excuse I can think of, is that there is a huge Canadian-Mexican drug peddling ring, and they are using French boys as their Mules. Suggestions please.

  Anyways, they spoke and laughed and I tapped into their conversation with my French listening skill, I shortly tapped out of it. Boring.

  I decided to go hit some Jazz again, this city is full of it. I got a bite and made my way towards Birdland. On the way I fell over, I helped a lady through the subway gate with her bags, I spilt tabasco sauce all down one of my only two pairs of trousers, and I smoked. 

  I got to birdland and it was full, so I walked approximately 30 yards to another place and stepped right in. I was greeted by the sounds of good times and all things associated with a rocking American night out. Good Music and plenty of people looking happy. I sank a pint and went for a cig. 

  Whilst outside I got talking to three girls, all au pairs from Germany, we had a laugh and got on very well. They followed me back inside and we got a table. We laughed, made language mistakes and drank for a while, it was good fun. As two of them were too young to be there, they swigged vodka from a 3 litre coke bottle to avoid going to the bar, and even though we are all the same age roughly, I felt like a bit of a pervert, simply because I had the privilege of going to the bar.
 They took my details and headed back to New Jersey, back to their respective families. A quick note I picked up on was that all the families they work for are Jewish. They said that they enjoy working for the families, but it can be tiring, not just looking after the kids, but doing the shopping, cooking and cleaning as well. The girls said that it's extremely common for families to request German au pairs. 

  After they left I got involved in a conversation with a gangly gentleman. The accent pricked his ears and he swept over to have a chat. 

  "England? Whereabouts?"

  "Oh, Hi, um..Manchester"

  "Love it, love it. Yeah Joy division rock, and the smiths, ooh and the Mondays too! Ya know 'em?"
 ( Know them?....Precisely those three bands are currently in my box of things i hate. Living in Manchester numbs you to the core by providing you with an incessant battery of those bands from every sodding jukebox you're in spitting distance of. I liked them once. They're dead to me now.)

  "Oh yeah, yeah, they're pretty awesome" was my feeble response. 

  Me and lanky man talked a while until I could crane my neck no further, and politely said goodbye.

  When back inside I met two lovely people, a young married couple who have invited me to stay with them, which I think I will do. The guy, works in a restaurant called Cilantro on 71st and I'm going there now to take him up on his offer of free dinner tonight. 

No comments: